Friday 31 August 2012

Windmills go round and round

I walked for three hours towards these giant windmills expecting them always to be around the next bend in an ever upward path. I am flat lander by experience and it took lots of puffs to get here. It felt like the top of the world. The windmills make a comforting hum like a good alto section of a choir.

 

Flatlander that I am, I assumed that the descent would be easy. The path down was steep and rocky and just at the moment when my right knee started to twinge slightly, a young man from El Salvador lent me one of his walking poles. He walked with me a while and scurried on ahead assuring me that we would run into each other and I could return his pole then. Sure enough he was cheerfully drinking coffee and airing his feet at the street cafe in the next town.

After only 15 km I am loving this.

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Already on your way ahead of time and got a good deal of ground covered on your first day. Very impressive start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a cobber I see around your neck? I certainly wore mine every day in Spain, thanks to your advice. And thank you for this blog. It'll be a treat and an inspiration follow along (virtually) as you walk the camino trail. Buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I just knew that you would meet and befriend wonderful people. I agree with Joanie... Very impressive

    ReplyDelete