Friday 14 September 2012

A magical concert under the stars

Yesterday I dropped my lovely little solar powered flash light and it fell part and I put it back together as best I could and clipped it to my backpack to recharge. Alas pieces fell off as I walked and as I later explained to 3 male German pilgrims who like to start at 6 am in the starry darkness, "Mein lampe ist kaput."

They generously indicated with smiles and gestures that I should join them. Hans is 70 and sweetly shy.

 

For the most part they keep company with other and smile at the rest of us. They somewhat opt out of the unending game of charades that is part of the multi-lingual conversations at the albergues.

With full pack and varied terrain my goal is to travel 4 km per hour. I need 7 or 8 hours with the feet actually moving. After 2 pm the siesta-inspiring sun is no fun to walk in. That cool morning time before the sun gets up is both efficient and magical. We left at 6 am under a starry dome with fingernail moon. They all trained their lamp light on the path ahead of me. They matched their pace to mine and in truth we flew.

Then they started to sing hymns. I recognized some of the tunes and hummed along. The air was cool and life was better than good.

We arrived at the next town at sun- up just as the cafe con leche was ready and the roosters were crowing.


5 comments:

  1. With moon and stars and lamp lights, your pre-dawn walk to the next town seems as you call it -- simply magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several newcomers to your blog, last night... Lots of us, cheering you on! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed your call but once again I stayed to the very end of the party. Love the look of your latest friends. They appear to be cheerful souls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. each and every day appears to bring new friends and amazing new adventures!

    ReplyDelete