Sunday 16 September 2012

The gift of community

Last night I was blessed to stay at the pilgrim albergue in Belicarios. Like many of these spots, the employees are volunteer hospitalerios. They greet guests, collect fees and donations, give sello stamps, assign accommodations, answer questions, clean, etc. At this particular albergue, the initial welcome included a piece of juicy melon and a big cup of water.

Pilgrims were invited to be part of a communal dinner. Donations of money, preparation, or cleanup welcomed.

Potato and onion peeling for the chorizo stew.

The fruit salad is chopped

At 7:30 we eat outside together in the twilight

Later we gather to watch the sunset, reflect on our own journey, and enjoy the chance to be together. This ability to create community is a complex and valuable gift. Sometimes it just needs a little nudge. I am resolved to put some effort into community building in my condo.

2 comments:

  1. I can just see you getting behind building a great community in your condo!
    I hope to be invited to help at some of the communal meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of my days at Findhorn. So happy for you and your experiences.-Cheryl

    ReplyDelete