Wednesday 19 September 2012

Peanut butter in the wilderness

When I travel there are little things that turn to longings. I confess that I have been silently and stoically missing peanut butter.

In the middle of the trail, appeared this mirage. The proprietor was giving a bit of a lecture...it was in Spanish but I think it was about the power of sharing and that we all need less.

He welcomed me and upon finding out that I was from Canada he immediately held up a jar of peanut butter. I was delighted.

From my pack, I dug out some bread leftover from breakfast. I spread on the butter butter, sat on a stump and had a feast. He pointed to a jar marked "donativo" and I added some coins.

 

A Swiss woman happened by and she delighted by muesli, her favorite cereal. I think there is an entrepreneurial hippie business unfolding here.
 
Spanish news reports daily on the high number of young Spaniards who are neither in school nor in jobs, a situation that is understandably unsettling to a country.

I wish this young man good fortune. He enriched my day and I hope I enriched his too.

When you travel, what little things do you miss?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, synchronicity pops out when your mirror has been given a little cleaning. You are beautiful and I love you.-Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Wikipedia, just before we leave the Internet (mostly) behind for about 10 days. Seems the Milky Way is Camino de S. de C. in Spanish - for the dust tossed up by the feet of all the pilgrims. And even now, they say, a prisoner in Flanders is freed each year, on the condition that he walk the Camino, with a heavy pack, and guarded on the way... What an amazing journey, Barb! And lovely that a small comfort like peanut butter should be in your path! What a huge comfort YOU have been, in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb,
    I am so proud of you. You look great. Waiting for you to return victorious. Jonny D is good. Missing you. I often thank God for giving me the opportunity to meet such a lovely person like you. Take care. Lots of love----Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babajee is with you!!!!-----love you-----Deepa your successor!

    ReplyDelete