Friday 7 September 2012

A pilgrim travels on her stomach

Today i suffered tourist tummy and although i felt fine at departure, I walked only 12 km, I arrived in bad shape...weak, dehydrated, dripping in 35 degree heat. Interestingly enough, the presenting symptoms included feeling cold and shivery. A camino angel appeared in the form of Jeanete, a Danish nursery school teacher and she just took over the way moms do. In no time, I had dry clothes, blankets, water, Imodium, rice crackers and rest. My recovery was fast and thorough. She decreed that we needed to cook food that would make is strong and we did. Enough of this Spanish restaurant food, she declared.

Tuna and eggs for protein

Olives for salt

Gazpacho and tomatoes for vitamins

Red Rioja for strength

There is a saying that the camino will provide....both challenges and supports. The support amongst the pilgrims is inspiring. Greeting one another is absolutely universally practiced with the phrase, Buen Camino, even by the bicyclist pilgrims who come roaring past from behind. One of my little worries has been over getting sick and now I feel that oodles of support.

6 comments:

  1. For having a tough start to the day then climbing over 10 km you sure look good. Your picnic looks yummy and nutritious at the sametime. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our past life at Johnny D., I always said "if you need anything at all , go to the Kindergarten dept.
    It looks like that is still the case. Thank you Jeannette for being there for our friend. The meal looks both delicious and nutritious .

    ReplyDelete
  3. so many amazing people to get to know and experiences to share. I read with admiration and a touch of jealousy - what an adventure. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better. But if your tummy rebels again, I recommend plain rice, and lots of bottled water. Also ask the pharmacist for Motilium. It really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are feeling so much better. You look happy and healthy!!!! This travelling seems to agree with you. I love looking at all the pictures and am glad you're meeting so many nice and interesting people! Love from Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Barbara! This is the post that brought me to tears. Please give Jeanete a big hug for me, and tell her "tak". (we've been watching Borgen, a Danish tv series...) and buen camino to you, and to her. Be well, and lots of love from here, the faraway sidelines. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete