Monday 3 September 2012

Abuela makes a deal

Abuela means grandmother. Here she is. As I approached her roadside stand she greeted me in friendly way. She showed her necklaces and postcards and her scallop shells. After I chose a little silvery pendant for 3 euros she insisted on knotting the string at the appropriate spot and putting it over my head. She gave me a big smile and said, En Santiago.....repeatedly until she was sure that I got it.....then she pointed straight at me....which I understood to mean you....then her hands moved into a praying position, and gave a little pleading look. What a great communicator. When you finish your pilgrimage at the great cathedral of Santiago, pray for me.....and you know what, I will.

 

1 comment:

  1. Another beautiful story and pictures. Thank you for including us in your journey.

    ReplyDelete