Sunday 16 September 2012

Waltzing the camino

I am resolved to strive for a lightness of foot in the accomplishment of this journey. Mornings are easier in that department. My goal is to walk about 28 km on average. I try not to trudge or plod or otherwise demonstrate a less than positive attitude by my walking style.

I try for a straight walk with no wobble..friendly and purposeful. Along about noon however, the tiredness, the weight of the pack, the heat of the feet start to alter attitude.

Why am I doing this? Where is that damn village anyway?

Waltzing does the trick. Initially I chose march tunes or at least ones with a 4/4 beat. Marching is fine. Once when entering a little town feeling half dead and definitely bedraggled, I hummed Colonel Bogey's March under my breath. Immediately, my stride lengthened, shoulders went back and head lifted. With the music's help I think I made a reasonable entrance. That said, marching does have overtones and I do wish to come in peace.

That's when I thought about waltzing...I thought about "Mockingbird Hill" as played by Minetta Gill, a musical force at the little country church of my childhood. Whenever we had church fundraising suppers, folks would come from far and wide, buy their tickets, and then head upstairs to the sanctuary for the musical stylings of Minetta Gill. At intervals she would stop for announcements that ticket holders with certain numbers could go to the church basement to eat.

She had a solid repertoire that included My Sweet Little Alice Blue Gown but nothing could touch her Mockingbird Hill. When śhe attacked the keys, those tra-la-las and twiddly-dee-dees took full treble flight.

I delight in her musical gifts to me and imagine, 60 years later on dusty path in Spain, she is still giving.

5 comments:

  1. You've been preparing your resources for this day for a good long time, I gather! What a lovely thought....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! A march can keep you going, and a waltz adds lift. Try Marching to Pretoria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! A march can keep you going, and a waltz adds lift. Try Marching to Pretoria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goof for you! I'm so happy you've found music to motivate you :)-love Cheryl

    ReplyDelete