Monday 10 September 2012

Burgos opens its arms

Today my fellow pilgrim, Jeanette from Denmark, struggled into Burgos. Jeanete injured her foot and needed rest. The plan was to find an albergue, a pilgrim dorm, and ask for her to be allowed to stay for a few days. Usually pilgrims are required to stay only one night and move along by 8 am.

We are comfortably installed In a special albergue which has been a pilgrim hospital since 1466. We just stumbled in, not even knowing that it was absolutely what we needed. Jeanette now has a home for a few days and I go on to new adventures in the morning.

 

This afternoon I visited the mighty Burgos cathedral

At the gate of judgement the good and wicked are appropriately placed. The decision appears to be pending on me.

There is a modern painting of EL CID who is buried in the cathedral in the central place of honour. According to Hollywood, he led his troops on horseback even though he was already dead. He had some help from a contraption that kept him sitting up straight in the saddle.

Tomorrow I set out on my own camino again. I am now on the high flat meseta and I hope to burn up the next section quickly. My body is feeling is stronger than it ever has in my whole life.

3 comments:

  1. That last line is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another amazing adventure shared. Thank you for letting us feel like we are in on the journey at least the easy part. No back pack or hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. liesferriman@hotmail.com4:24 pm, September 11, 2012

    Your stories sound amazing and so uplifting. My neighbour,Loretta,who you met last winter, is keen to hear about your adventures and wishes you as well buen camino.

    ReplyDelete