Tuesday 18 September 2012

Fruits and Kisses

Today I walked alone from Leon starting in the darkness just before 6 am. Gradually morning came and the suburbs and factories gave way to countryside.

I came across a beautiful walled orchard. It had grapes and apples and pears and plums. Although there were ways to see in, the whole area was walled. Not only that, the trees and vines were wrapped in mesh.

The message was clear. THIS IS NOT FOR YOU. I had already heard the news that we had been kicked out of the Garden of Eden, but this was the first time I had ever felt it. Not only that, I was hungry and alone.

I remembered a little six-year-old boy who came to my office sobbing and finally blurted out, "They out-cluded me". Now it was my turn to feel those feelings and ever exclusion I could remember came flooding up and I had a good cry.

Imagine my delight a couple of kilometres later to see this.

A basket of fruits...plums, apples grapes and tomatoes and a sign inviting pilgrims to eat and enjoy. I started with a plum and soon a man appeared. I thanked him and asked to take his photo.

He returned a few minutes later with his card with an email written on the back and I indicated that I would email him the photo. Off he went again, and some more pilgrims arrived and were nibbling. The man appeared again and surreptitiously handed me a pear and indicated that I should hide it in my pocket quickly. Once again I thanked him and we kissed goodbye on the right cheeks and were heading for the left cheeks (at least I was) when he planted a big one right on the kisser.

I don't think this relationship has much hope, but I am planning to enjoy an apple, appear, a plum, and two tomatoes today.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know.... Next you will be beating them off with a stick! Seems like they consider you " some tomato!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine you were ever out cluded. I always feel sorry for people who put up walls, they must be very lonely. I'm glad you made that old guy's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now now Mom, I told you about those Spanish men ;-) Yes you are Beautiful, kind and intelligent. You are also becoming stronger than ever ! Thank you for being and sharing. Lovelove
    -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good and poignantly thoughtful anecdote there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. photo to send?

    ReplyDelete