Saturday 22 September 2012

Time to smell the flowers

Another big day of walking....32 km from Mollinaseca to Villafranca. I set out at 6:15 am and ended at 4:30. I am realizing that every camino day takes me through a similar range of emotions... Optimism, confidence, doubt, confusion, revaluation, resignation, discouragement, fatigue, rest, excitement, curiosity, delight, amazement, surprise, fun...and always accomplishment.

Today the trail included a lot of suburban housing and industrial development around a small city called Ponferrada. Gone was the wild sky and the sweeping views....so I decided to look for flowers...those brave plants that risk investing in a second bloom....can you smell a metaphor coming...dammit I will just come out and say it. I want to risk a second bloom.

 

 

Tonight I rest for a big climb tomorrow. I am pleased that I can climb hills. I simply puff a lot and take it slow. Other are troubled by the descent which strains knees and legs and feet. In this, I seem to have the muscles and joints to take it. Perhaps the years of carrying my extra weight left me with strong legs.

The camino is full of people of all ages and stages. I learned yesterday that many Spanish young people are doing the camino in order to be able to use this on a resume. The unemployment among Spanish youth is alarming. I think it has a lot to teach folks of all ages.

6 comments:

  1. I think you started blooming some time ago. Isn't this a glorious time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet is the possibility of possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stand in awe as I read your journey. On the weekend, I managed a small trek through the woods, all of 2.5 km. and felt pretty accomplished. I'm going to have to do some serious training to come close to your incredible endurance and stamina. Bravo! Carry on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe is the word. Thinking of you often today on what must be an exhausting treck up and down, and ultimately way, way up towards lofty and Celtic O'Cebreiro. It doesn't get more challenging than the climb to O'Cebreiro.

    ReplyDelete