Wednesday 26 September 2012

A Privileged and Cosseted Life or Is Pain Useful?

A former university classmate once declared about us early boomers..."We are the most privileged, cosseted generation that has ever lived". He spoke these words a couple of decades ago, and I dismissed them because in my view I was taking my life lumps...I was paddling hard.

I was thinking a lot about this today because I am approaching the Lavacolla River just before Santiago. It was here that medieval pilgrims cleansed themselves before they went to the cathedral. The name of the river is derived from "lava...to wash and colla...colon or arse". Literally the " Wash-your-arse River"...I will be there in only 3 more sleeps. Meanwhile I have stood under a hot shower everyday of the camino when I came off the trail and I have to admit that I have never enjoyed showers more. Sometimes I was cold from rain. More often I was sweaty and dusty. Always that hot water pouring over me created a sense of rejoicing in the simple ritual of getting clean. Was the struggle and pain of the trail an essential ingredient of that ramped-up enjoyment? I think so.

I am looking forward to arriving in Santiago but I love the camino. Today I met 2 Californians who walk at approximately the same turtle speed that I do. This is rare and worthy of documentation.

Tonight I am in a tiny village

This the view from the window of the bar where I sit.

Here is the bar where I sit having just had a big bowl of chicken noodle soup from a packet. It tasted like the food of the gods...but then I have walked and walked...I have put my rain poncho on and taken it off oodles of times. I am now going to have a strawberry yogurt and I expect that it also will taste superb.

Gratitude overwhelms me that I have the privileges of time, money and health to take this adventure.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Barbara,

    You may remember that a few weeks ago, just the day you started at Villanfranca Montes de Oca (8th of September) you had a conversation with a Spanish pilgrim to whom you gave wise advises about life, work, love, and a few other things. Well..that's me.

    I just wanted to thank you for your good advises, which kept my mind busy during the rest of my pilgrimage to Compostela.

    I finished my Camino yesterday in the morning and I'm just back to my home town Leon. I must admit that I've been frequently reading your blog and see now that you are approaching the city of the Apostle.

    Get prepared for the arrival to the Plaza del Obradoiro. It will probably be one of those moments that you will remember for the rest of your life. At least, it was for me.

    All the best y Buen Camino!!

    //Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have won over the Spanish Pilgrims as well as all your followers at home. You realize we will be expecting you to continue Blogging when you return home. Just stating the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joanie. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts. We all enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you and think of you often, so much to share with you when you return .
    Glad you are well and love your writings, I can hear your voice as I read. Love-Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope the peoples of Spain succeed in overcoming the painfully grim economic times they are confronting just now and, when they do so, also derive value from it. Sounds like you personally may have well-deserved wonderous days just ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. almost there..good for you mate...xxxxChris

    ReplyDelete
  7. However, sinсе thеiг aсtiοns aгe built uρon thе еrrоneouѕ
    bеliеf that they busіneѕs
    are rіgid, and aѕ suсh strikеs а balanсe of quantitative and
    qualitatiνe informatiоn. Freddіe Bοurne whose steρmοthеr Caгolуn lаsheԁ out at hіs bride-tο-be in а scathing
    еmail whiсh wаѕ fοrwаrdeԁ arοund thе world.


    Аlso visit my wеb blog: internet marketing california

    ReplyDelete